Saturday, February 9, 2008

Blogging, Everyone's Business

As I write down my simple thoughts on class, politics, education basically whatever, I think that who will read this? Honestly, maybe 5 people at the most. But who can read this or anything else that is out there? I need to remember that just because many people might not read things I post it doesn't mean they can't. I would never post things that are questionable, racy or could jeopardize my job or family but we hear all the time of this happening. We probably have all googled ourselves to see what is out there on us, I am guilty of this too. Mostly pretty boring educational and job information on me, nothing to be ashamed of. But there are many things that people post that if a family member or employer read it, it could have embarrassing consequences. I have heard of numerous times where employers looking to hire a new employee google them or search for their profile on Myspace. I have mixed feelings about this, because everyone is entitled to a private life outside of work, but as an employer it allows them to do a sort of background check on the potential employee. Basically I think if it is information that you really don't want the rest of the world reading, seeing or knowing about you shouldn't post it on the internet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. I have a MySpace page and have wondered, "What if a student or anyone else looks at my page and there is something inappropriate on it?" I make sure that all of my pictures, comments, etc. are acceptable. I don't use it too much, but I'm sure that people have browsed my page. It's kind of creepy that people can find out personal information by only typing and clicking. I don't think that employers should be able to do that. I guess that they can always deny it. It's something that we all have to watch.

One of the main things that I keep an eye on when I am posting to my blog, I make sure that I don't include any students' names. It seems like common sense, but it is possible to make an honest mistake. I carefully read over it to make sure that a potential mistake does not have any repercussions.