Saturday, February 9, 2008

Scary Weather

What is going on with the weather? While I honestly don't mind a snow day here or there this has become a bit ridiculous. I am not even at a k-12 school but rather at the university level and we are also having snow and delayed start days. Being at CMU since 2001, I remember closing maybe once or twice due to the weather. Last year I think they closed early and maybe had a delayed start but already this year and winter is not over yet, we shut down one full day do to a power outage from an ice storm, we were released early one day, opened at noon three times and opened at two in the afternoon once. Looking around the state and even the country, I see that it is not just Mid Michigan with the weird weather. Down state they are having flood warnings. There are also flood warnings throughout the south, deadly tornadoes hitting the mid west. I am not sure what to expect next, cats and dogs raining from the sky, who knows? You here about global warming, end of the world prophecies or is this just an out of the ordinary active winter?

3 comments:

KB said...

I was watching storm coverage in the aftermath of the recent snow storm. The meteorologist said that storms like this occur about once every ten years. It certainly was a crazy storm.

There was an article in the paper today about all of the snow days that have been used. We had a snow day before Xmas break, one two weeks ago for ice and strong wind, and then three snow days last week. Most of the schools in Saginaw County are out of snow days and as you point out winter is not over yet. This means schools are looking at extending the school year. It makes you wonder what the rest of winter has in store and what that means for schools.

Anonymous said...

After graduating from high school, I joined the Army. I went to Basic Training in Missouri, then to Medical School in Texas. Here's the craziness of my trip: I leave San Antonio where it's 50-60 degrees. I arrive in Fairbanks, Alaska....42 degrees below zero! 100 degrees difference! This weather is miserable. I'm just glad that I'm not any further north. I love the snow, but being too cold ruins all the fun of winter.

AFanning said...

I agree. I don't remember having any snow days when I was at CMU. I was there for 4.5 years. It is crazy. It took my husband at least 6 hours (split in two days) to clean up our driveway and my parents. He said he doesn't know where he is going to put anymore snow. I think he might actually be sick of riding on his 4 wheeler, which never happens.